Trail cut Dress is latest in trend now. It has a simple rectangle piece skirt. Trail cut Dress sorted as a party wear. Double layer pattern makes it even more rich look. If it is short one can be paired with leggings, Jeggings and skinny jeans.
Front & Back Neck depth-
2 ½ Mtrs to 5Mtrs (depends up on individuals size)
Georgette, cotton, chiffon, crepe and silk. If u plans to make double layer, you can mix Georgette and chiffon with cotton.
(0-1) = Bodice length (waist length)
(0-2) = Armhole depth = ¼ chest – 1”(for Medium figure) or 2”(for heavier figure)
(2-3) = Chest line = ¼ chest + 1” (for Tight fit) or 2” (for loose fit)
(5-6) = Shoulder drop = 1cm
(0-5) & (2-6’) = ½ shoulder
(0-7) = Neck width
(0-8) = Back neck depth
(0-9) = Front neck depth
X is midpoint of 6-6’. (x-x’) = 1cm
Shape (6-x-3) back armhole curve.
Shape (6-x’-3) front armhole curve.
Measure 6-x’-3 it should be more than ½ armhole by 3 to 4cms.
(1-4) = ¼ waist + 1” or 2” (same as chest line)
0-10 = waist length – 2½”
10-11 = straight line
11-11’ = 1” inside. Join 3-11’-4
9-7-6-x’-3-11’-4-1 (9-1) on fold
8-7-6-x-3-11’-4-1 (8-1) on fold
Cut 8-8’ on fold for back neck slit opening (Neck slit opening need only at the circumference of head is lesser than neck circumference)
(0-1), (0-2) = Desire dress length – Waist length
Draw straight horizontal and vertical lines from point 1 and 2. Mark the meeting point of that line as 0’. This looks like a perfect square.
0-3, 0-4, 0-5 = 1/6 waist
¼” on neck line, armhole and back neck slit open
1” on side seams
1½” on hemlines
- Here is the draft for skirt part. You have to make it with 2 materials for layers one is Cotton and the other one Chiffon.
- Fold along the line mentioned in picture 1 & 2.
- Now we have 4 layers for skirt portion.
- Mark and cut with the above construction details.
- Mark little curve at 0’ corner and cut off that curve.
- You can avoid the above step to make variation.
Take a look at the below picture for the outcome of draft.
- Take 2 Pieces of bodice (Front and Back) 2 Pieces of Sleeve Click HERE to know about the Cap Sleeve (Right and Left) and 2 rectangular pieces for Neck facing.
- Place the neck facing rectangular pieces for the front and back Bodice pieces respectively. Make sure that the right sides are together. Pin and sew along the neck line with ¼” seam allowance. Cut the excess of facing pieces and make notches on seam. Then turn right sides out and press. Give topstitch at neckline.
- Place Bodice front and back pieces by facing right sides together and sew along the shoulder line to join the two Bodice pieces together.
- Fold the hemline of sleeve by ¼” inside and fold again ¾” inside and sew along the hemline at the edge of first folding.
- Place the Sleeves right side on the top of Bodice armhole area respectively. Pin it and sew along with ¼” armhole seam allowance.
- Turn Bodice wrong side out and sew along with 1” side seam allowance as right sides together.
- Then attach the skirts waistline together to make a perfect look (Refer above picture). Finish hem line.
- Then attach the skirt into Bodice part by facing right sides together.
Now you get a STYLISH TRAIL CUT DRESS.
Here is some more inspiration to make your own dress with this style.